Dreamtree

Sit here with me under the Arbor Vitae, and let us consider the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Desert Southwest, United States

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. ~T.S. Eliot

Sunday, May 13, 2007

meme by me

Here are seven random facts about me:

1) My ears were pierced when I was 5 years old by a midwife in Naples Italy. Midwiffery must have been a lucrative profession in those days, because I remember her house as being huge and dark. My mother and I and our neighbor, a young farm woman, were all shown into a cavernous room full of furniture covered in sheets. The midwife came out, a very haughty well-dressed woman, who seemed very busy and kind of annoyed. Eventually she passed a needle through a candle flame, threaded it with some fine silk cording, and sewed a couple of loops into my earlobes. I screamed like a monkey when she did it, more in reaction to her manner than out of any actual pain, I think. Anyway, my Mom bought me a pair of little gold hoops with tiny rubies to wear in my ears, which I promptly lost, and for which I have been searching ever since.

2) Right after college graduation, I decided to take a trip to the Mainland and visit with some far away relatives and friends. After about 6 months, I decided to try and get a job, but had no winter clothing, other than a coat and some black winter boots. I was in Pennsylvania at the time, so I headed out to the King of Prussia mall with my last $100 to see what kind of a job seeking outfit I could come up with. After a discouraging tour of the price tags, I drifted over to the makeup counters, and noticed how elegant and well-groomed the women behind the counter were. Then I noticed they were all wearing grey smocks. I ended up buying a black skirt, a black turtle neck and spent the rest of the money on cosmetics and a manicure.

3) When I was about 15 or 16 I picked up a book on Tarot at my High School Library. It had big full page colour illustrations of each card in the Marseilles deck, plus various historical variations. I dreamed about those archetypical images for weeks. Since then I have an ongoing fascination with the communicative power of images.

4) Within the last 30 days I have learned that 2 of my best friends and one of my brothers has decided to become either vegetarian or vegan. Furthermore, my friends and my brother's girlfriend have celiac. Why is it that everyone I know has some kind of major food allergies or dietary restrictions? I predict that some day I will be able to eat only water and stewed prunes.

5) I dream one day of going to Istanbul, Turkey. I hope it doesn't get all bombed up before I get there.

6) I can't decide whether I am lazy, or incredibly competent in making my wishes come true. At this point in my life, all my goals of early adulthood have been realized. Oddly enough, I feel sort of trapped in amber, or like I am treading water, waiting to get back to my real life. I tell myself I'm living for everyone else right now, and that eventually they will all be gone. But what will be left?

7) I have three buttocks.

Not really. That was kind of juvenile, but it has taken me a week to come up with 7 random facts about myself. A little harder than what I would have expected. Oh wait, here's something

7') I can sew. Lately I mostly sew kids pajamas, because I can make them exactly like the ones int the catalogs, which sell for $40, for about $5. I give them as gifts, and make several for my own kids every season, because there is nothing better than a bath and a clean pair of p.j.'s at the end of the day.

8) BONUS FACT: I have developed a mild profanity habit. Ex: "A.J says he'll give you a ride home at 11:00pm? A.J can kiss my ass, I'll be there to pick you up at 9:00. --!" I have been told, repeatedly, that it isn't appreciated, especially by my co-workers, and yet I can't seem to discard the offensive wordage.

6 Comments:

Blogger Deetin said...

It was nice to read this and learn new things about you...it made me laugh too (water and stewed prunes).

I recently read a little about celiac because L has ridges in his fingernails and I wanted to see if I could find out why. Celiac came up in the search along with arsenic poisoning...hmm...

I think I was four when I had my ears pierced and remember it well, except for the pain part which probably means that there wasn't much of it.

I recently asked two of my sisters-in-law if they were going to have their infant daughters' ears pierced and they both said, "no!" For some reason I was shocked. One of them told me that she did not have her ears pierced until she was 18 (she has multiple holes) and that she would let her daughter decide to have them done on her own..ok...The other one did not give me an answer. What is more cute than a baby girl with teeny-tiny earrings??

12:28 PM  
Blogger zulhai said...

"What is more cute than a baby girl with teeny-tiny earrings??"

Nothing! That's what!
I well remember seeing J & G at four months, sitting on the counter at JCPenny, their little ears sparkling with pink and green rhinestone studs, their eyes sparkling with tears. Adorable!

6:22 AM  
Blogger SRH said...

If "ass" is your major bad-word, your co-workers need to calm the f*** down! ummm... what I meant to say was that you shouldn't give a sh** if your co-workers bi*** about your language.

4:25 AM  
Blogger zulhai said...

Too right!
--As they say in New Jersey, s**** 'em if they can't take a joke!
Although, to be fair, I do work in an Elementary School...

9:47 AM  
Blogger Zany Mama said...

You know, of course, that I adore these random fact posts. I'll try not to comment on all 8.5 facts.

BTW, Zane wears a 4T in pjs.

Just kidding. I'm an adult size small.

I jest.

Why Turkey?

5:43 PM  
Blogger zulhai said...

Welcome back, ZM!
I don't know if I can compete with Nelly, but I promise to revisit the idea in 2 weeks (school's out).

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home