Dreamtree

Sit here with me under the Arbor Vitae, and let us consider the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Desert Southwest, United States

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. ~T.S. Eliot

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Blue MoOn

It is 3:16am and I can't sleep. Which means I have time to blog. Sadly, the only newsworthy thought in my head is the inch long pencil lead my colleague took out of a first graders ear this morning.
Yeah, that's what I said. An inch long pencil lead.
"She kept saying her ears were bothering her, but she had so much wax we couldn't really tell what the problem was.."
Until they found an inch long pencil lead.
The question now, of course, is what they'll find in the other ear.
"Probably the eraser!" says the Mom, which begs the question; where is the rest of that pencil?
Still, this isn't as bad as the Bean Story.
One of the women I worked with the last time I worked at a hospital told us all at lunch one time about how when she was little, she used to have "these really bad headaches." (Can you already see where this is going?) So her mother finally took her in to the doctor, who found she had some kind of an occulsion in one of her nostrils. He was able to get in there with a tweezers and dislodge what turned out to be a bean. But that's not all. This was evidently a magic bean, with a BEANSTALK attached. She said it took the doctor "a long, long time" to slowly tease out all the roots and shoots which had wound their way through the nooks and crannies of her nasal passages.
Can you imagine? I wonder if that doctor's knees were shaking that whole time.
"Josie!" I said, "Didn't they ever tell you not to put a bean in your nose?"
"Yes," she replied, "they did, but I was trying to talk to my Mom, and she wouldn't listen to me, and I just thought..."
Seeing this grandmotherly old lady still trying to justify putting the bean in her nose was almost as entertaining as anything else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home