Dreamtree

Sit here with me under the Arbor Vitae, and let us consider the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Desert Southwest, United States

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. ~T.S. Eliot

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Requiem

Finally! Here's some news: I can't post from my work computer.
Everyone knows the best blogs are the ones frequently updated, which puts this one closer to the "crappy" end of the spectrum, I'm sorry to say.
I'm not ready to quit yet though. I WILL find a way!
Too many blogs are dying lately. Why the mortality rate, I wonder? I can see that there is a certain attrition rate to be expected. People's lives change, they get busy. But you'd think they would come back to it. Doesn't seem to be the case.
The first blog I ever read was Hunkabutta.com, a picture blog by an expatriate living in Japan. The photos he took were absolutely beautiful, and included short commentaries. The best part, though, was the comment section. Funny, witty, and many, with new additions every time I turned on my computer. Eventually Hunkabutta returned to the States and the blog ended. It wasn't just that he was busier, although he was, having bought a fixer-upper somewhere on the Oregon coast. He said that he lost the inspiration of wanting to document the strange, exotic world of the Orient. By then he had started a family, and his attention was attuned to his personal life, which he didn't care to display so publicly.
Another blog I really enjoyed was Kindofcrap.com, another American-in-Japan journal. The updates were frequent, and the writing was hilarious. The guy really had a gift. Eventually, he came home, though and sank into silence. He did make a half-hearted attempt at another blog from the US, but couldn't sustain the interest, or something.
The archives for both of these sites are still up, if you have some time to kill, and want to pass it with a visit into a creative mind with a unique perspective on the world around it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

I don't know about the best blogs being frequently-updated thing. I think that was true back in the day, but now most people use aggregators or readers and simply click through when notified of update. I have many wonderful blogs in my bloglines account which update only every now and then and I eagerly scoot on over when they do. I have lots more medocre blogs which update daily or almost so and sometimes I don't make it over. Because, you know, there's always tomorrow.

So update when you can. No worries.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Zany Mama said...

I think the pace you post at is the pace you post at - it says nothing about quality of the blog.

(Of course I might be saying this because the posting has been sparse lately over my way.)

Whatever. I stand by my previous statement.

6:34 PM  
Blogger bijan said...

I know what you mean, but I imagine the birth rate is positive. Perhaps for everyone who stops one or more start anew? Or, it may all be a fad and something new might replace it. Just go with flow. Btw, I have a bunch of posts in Feb. that you could visit and give me feedback. I would like that.

10:28 AM  
Blogger SRH said...

I just wrote a lengthy comment about blogs, frequency of posting, good v bad etc... but blogger ate it.

11:28 AM  
Blogger bijan said...

Another Comment:
This comment is actually for both, this post and “La Vie Interieure”, your previous post.
You write very beautifully! I had to come back and read that post again today. I guess I didn’t quite get it the first time and I left a stupid comment. I still don’t get it. There is so much unknown (interior of your life) that I don’t know about. I also asked you some superficial questions that you just ignored. I wish I could understand and relate to you better so my comments don’t seem like as shallow as those “air kiss air kisses” that you so beautifully described. I think you are looking for some blogs in the same intellectual level as yourself and not all blogs are so scholarly or spiritual and that’s why you miss those so very much. I guess blogs are dime a dozen, but meaningful ones are rare. I tried, but didn’t find that much on Maya Dern.

12:35 PM  
Blogger zulhai said...

Thanks Diana and Z.M!

You are so absolutely right, I agree 100%.
Now that you point it out, I realize that once a day isn't enough for the good blogs, and the mediocre ones aren't even worth the click!

SRH:

Well, thanks for almost sharing...

Bijan:

Dude! Thanks for the kind words, your interest is so flattering! Eventually I'm sure everything will be revealed.
As for feedback, your blog is a very fun and lively one. -- In fact there is now a framed print-out of the "leadership" picture, on my boss' desk. I have to laugh every time I look at it. I also like the way you sort of footnote as you go, with reference links, followed by commentary. It bespeaks a mind structured by an excellent education. I would say further that the contrast of such scholarly habits with the lightness of topic, or your humourous outlook has a kind of pleasant "sparkle" effect.

2:08 PM  
Blogger bijan said...

Dittos - Thank you!!! First thing that comes to mind is (while repeatedly bowing, I repeat), “I’m not worthy”, from SNL’s Wayne’s World, Garth & Wayne.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home