Dreamtree

Sit here with me under the Arbor Vitae, and let us consider the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Desert Southwest, United States

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. ~T.S. Eliot

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Oooh...Sparkly!

I am obsessed with a certain infomercial product I saw recently. Not even the whole thing, just the first and last 5 minutes. -- That's how I watch all TV, up and down, in and out. Anyway, this one was for yet another calisthenics exercise program, packaged under the name "Fluidity." Just for thinking of that name makes me want to give these people money. Yeah, FLUIDITY. Doesn't that sound cool and easy? Like floating down a river. Plus the images they kept flashing of what were obviously professional ballerinas delicately poised on one toe in gravity-defying positions, every rippling muscle highlighted and caressed by some seriously sophisticated lighting. I want it! Plus, it comes with a barre, which folds up and is easy-store. For only $200! The thing is, 3 years ago I lost 30 lbs. My regime was simple, one meal a day, processed carbs only when I cheated, 30-45min of walking every day, and an hour of this same type of exercise about 3-4 times a week. I used one of my high-backed dining room chairs as a barre. I slimmed down, felt better. Oh also I took some prescribed medication. Then, as is the usual (98%) scenario in these cases, circumstances changed, my job changed, I ran out of my prescriptions, the old coping mechanisms crept back, one by one. And so I find myself back at the exact same point of my all-time-heaviest weight. The real problem is that I can't seem to get back on the horse and do what needs to be done. Is it that I'm defeated by defeat? If defeated feels like a dull, heavy anger, than that certainly might be it. I think there might be something here about the general lack of control over my life going on as well. Can "Fluidity" be the answer? Wu-wei*? On the one hand, I don't need to buy anything to practice this regime. On the other hand, sometimes a new toy can be the missing motvational factor. On the other hand...uh, foot, I really don't want to spend money on toys right now. Hear me, oh Universe! Send me motivation! *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_wei

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read an exercise video forum sometimes and I've seen Fluidity discussed much there but haven't read those posts. The forum is here if you're interested. These women are hard core; I never make a fitness purchase without reading them first.

I know what you mean about the lure of the sparkle and wondering whether to succumb yet again, but on the other hand, if it makes you act... When I was in college I had a professor friend sneer at me because I "wasted" money on gym memberships when I could just head outside and run. Gyms (until I bought a treadmill recently) have been what worked for me. I know myself and I know that I won't go outside and walk/run with as much consistency as I will use a treadmill. So what if some people think that's odd? We do what works for us. If a new sparkly toy is what works for you, just do it. You know?

7:06 AM  
Blogger zulhai said...

Thanks Diana!
BTW, any insight into the return paragraph dilemma? I notice no problem here, but blogger ignores my return key when I'm posting.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't used Blogger for a long time, but have you tried editing the html directly? I tried to give examples here but it wouldn't let me. Email me if you want examples, or you can also look at the html version of a post that looks right (wasn't there one where you could do a paragraph break?). And, have you tried a different browser?

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Zulhai,
Thanks for visiting my blog. Shirin is one of my favorites. I spent almost two hours at gym yesterday, but I’m still pretty stiff. I’ll go again tomorrow. I am in the same struggle with my weight. Just like you, I had lost about 10-15 pounds three years ago and was at my ideal weight. I wasn’t following any diet and that was the best part. All I had to do was to go to the gym 3 times a week and have a good workout and I could eat all I wanted. It doesn’t work anymore. My metabolism has changed! I’m working harder at the gym and watching my diet too (except for ice cream.) I’ve gained all the weight back plus another 20! I’m okay with the gym. It took me a few years to discipline my way to the gym and not just pay the membership. I’ve tried exercising at home and jogging, but it won’t work for me. I need to keep doing what I’m doing and stay away from ice cream. That should work. So, which part of you is Persian? Did you find more spelling errors on my post?

10:11 AM  
Blogger zulhai said...

Welcome Bijan,
Thanks for the kind words. If only one COULD just pay the gym to take away all the excess weight! -- Or at least to keep it, once lost.

BTW, your spelling is impeccable, so far.

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must agree why I’m confused. You said you’re quintessential American since 1600 or something like that and then you said your mother is an immigrant. And you make it sound like your eyes look oriental. So, this mystery puzzle doesn’t add up. It would only make sense if you mother is Iranian and you don’t have any oriental blood in you. Last guess would be that as you refer to him, your first husband, he is Iranian, but that’s a starch and I don’t think so. The Cheshm Badoomi doesn’t add up yet. I'll just wait for you new blog idea. I guess that's when you'll solve the mystery. A second question. Are you in Arizona or California or neither?

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my GOD! I’m so sorry! I had no idea. This is more like a computer hiccups! I tried to publish my comment, but the progress indicator just sat there and never completed. So, I hit the back/forward screen to get out of it and try again! I had no idea. Sorry!

9:58 PM  
Blogger zulhai said...

Tee hee!
I have NO idea how to fix any of this.
BTW, the "almond-eyed life" will be the subject of my next post.

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I saw that you'd suddenly acquired 17 comments and HAD to know what was going on in here! Odd that my last comment duplicated itself, too (only once, though, thankfully!).

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home