Dreamtree

Sit here with me under the Arbor Vitae, and let us consider the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Desert Southwest, United States

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. ~T.S. Eliot

Sunday, January 21, 2007

My Life as an Iranian

One sunny, subtropical morning, when I was a Sophmore at University, I stood dreaming at the window of my work-study "job." Italy, and how to get back there, was on my mind. Suddenly, like the answer to a prayer, a very Italianate-looking boy crossed my field of vision. Light-eyed and olive skinned, he turned and our eyes met briefly. Turning, he disappeared without breaking his stride. "Wither thou goest," I thought.
Approximately one and a half minutes later, he was standing in front of my desk with a question,
"Do you want to go dancing?"
Uh, no thanks, Complete Stranger.
"So, what, dinner? Do you ever eat at the cafeteria?"
Now I'm scared. No thanks, no thanks, NO THANKS.
He came every day at the same time, same question. Bringing coffee with cream and sugar. He told me he was Mexican, and a cook. Strangely, he didn't know what a quesadilla was, though. Hmmm. I told him I thought he looked Italian when I first saw him, he said he was "half." I asked him what part of Italy he was from, and after a little more BS, he finally told me he was from Iran, here studying Engineering.
That was interesting.
I had seen photos of the Shah of Shah's Jubilee, or whatever it was, in National Geographic. Images of fabulous, over-the-top floats, peacock colours, Byzantine-like potentates, berobed, bejewled and bedazzled. Marching bands, school children waving flowers, military battalions from ancient biblical kingdoms, Hittites, Chaldeans, Assyrians. The photos looked like the freizes from the Louvre had come to live, rows of men with black beards, gold armbands, white kilts looking fierce and pretty tough, I must say. Not so much like the Hollywood version as you might think.
Anyway. He continued to stalk me, and find ways to entice me into spending time with him.
"I'm going to an Iranian New Year's Party Saturday, would you like to come? --There will be a lot of foreigners, it will be very interesting. You can try the food."
How could I say no?
Eventually, all my spare time was accounted for, I had new clothes, rides everywhere, and I was a Girlfriend for the next 6 years.
He was a great guy, though. So were his friends. Actually I learned to cook from his roomate, Saeed, who had been in political prison in Iran. All the guys who had been in prison could cook, I guess they all had to take a turn in the kitchens.
I know now, and I knew then that he loved me and wanted to marry me. He told me once that no matter how hard he tried to be worthy, he thought that somehow I didn't trust him, which I didn't understand at the time, but maybe I do now. I knew he would never cheat on me with other women, or treat me badly. I did believe that he would always do what he could to protect and take care of me. He was always coming up with things I needed before I even knew that I needed them.
Somehow, I was restless though.
You know, Italy.
I think maybe I was afraid that he was so good at distracting me and pulling my strings, that if I gave him any more power, my whole life would be gone out of my hands, and I would be swallowed up and stuck. -- Like that didn't happen anyway!
In the years that followed, after I left and came here, I did think a lot about Islamic and Western societies, men and women, and freedom and family relationships. I missed that tight little world, where everyone is always together, and the rules of fraternization are clear. Courtesies are observed, boundaries are respected. The people are the most important thing. When I was alone, in Graduate School on the mainland, I didn't miss my family, but I did miss Saeed's cooking, Masood's girlfriend, my ex-boyfriend's shoulders.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’m getting pretty good at this? Prodding people to reveal more of themselves! Hey, my far fetched guess turned out to be right? I did the same to Foulla from Morocco and she came out with a great story of her life too. She’s also married to an Iranian. She gave me a label too, Spelling Monster!
It all makes sense now. I don’t want to spoil your next blog, but like I said I think I’m getting good at this. So, your mom is the oriental one, obviously? I could name all those countries (Korean, Taiwanese/Chinese, Philippines, & Vietnam.) Of course there are more, but that’s enough for now. If I had to guess, I’ll go with Philippines. No, wait here is one more, Hawaiian or Japanese ancestry! Well, I not am betting any money on any of them. Okay, I give up!

You are amazing! You know so much about the culture and you eloquently and in a nice way with respect and pride describe all nice things Persian. I’m sometimes amazed with this ex-girlfriend and now just a good friend. After so many years, she goes, “Oh, I didn’t know it snowed in Iran!” Mind you we have been on many ski trips together! Where did you think I learned to ski? Well, can’t wait for your next blog. Cheers!

10:24 AM  
Blogger zulhai said...

Thanks for the kind words, Bijan! I'm flattered by your interest. As for your friend, don't be too hard on her. Probably her only source of info re: Iran is you, and if you didn't tell her, she doesn't know.
The thing about being surrounded by people who grew up so differently is that it takes a lot of effort to explain things, and I find that people tend not to bother. My mother, for example, never really talks about her childhood. I get the impression that it wasn't happy, but whatever the reason, she seems to blank out whenever we ask about it. For example, once when my sister was doing a school project, she asked our mother what she did for fun as a child. The answer was "I used to like to go to Nun's funerals." After a stunned silence and all the incredulous laughter died down, it was like pulling teeth to get her to explain to two American teenagers why that was so fun.

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home